The professor was annoyed that his multiple choice tests kept freezing, creating lots of problems. I shared my thoughts about multiple choice exams and the difficulty non-English natives have with the nuances of the language. We talked through this issue, and brainstormed ways to assess students without using this method. Then we moved onto the substandard textbook loaded with mistakes which he had inherited from the face-to-face course. We discovered he likes the book for the Glossary,and nothing else. We dissected the attributes of the book, and how they might be replaced by links or other assignments. By this time our toes had turned to prunes.
I remembered Moodle's clever use of a Glossary created with student input by wiki. Instead of assessment through methods using short term memory, we thought it might be great to have students create the Glossary themselves. With the help of a rubric, this could be done, and done well, by the course participants.
We then talked about why collaboration could work with this assignment; with virtually any assignment. Our talk in the water was a perfect example of a collaborative effort, which I pointed out. He understood immediately.